Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Ignorance is not bliss

Cora spent a great deal of today napping and then talking up a storm.  Its so great to hear that little voice chatting away while I clean the house.  She is already practicing her vocal skills and readying herself for "making her voice heard".

After  Cora rested and I was done cleaning the house, it was time to work on her sitting skills and tummy time on a pillow.  At this point this is the only therapy she can do until she gets clearance from her pediatric cardiologist.  I am looking forward to getting her working with Early On again with the hopes that she will gain some of the muscle strength back that she has lost over the past two months.

We are getting ready for that Marquette trip again to see her doctor.  I have mixed feelings because last time we went as soon as we got home she went into heart failure from the valve sutures letting go and tearing.  I am optimistic that it will not happen again.  I am praying that the echocardiogram will show no increase in the blood regurge and all will be well with Cora's heart.  I am not the master of this journey, creator is.

When I ran to the local store real quick, I was asked by a person at the gas station who had heard about Cora, "How are you going to handle raising her with the Downs?" ( Normally I am very open and willing to answer questions but this question was asked in a tone that reeked of prejudice and rudeness.) I took a deep breathe, said a quick prayer and  I replied that I would continue to do as I have been doing, raising her like my other children.  With lots of love and understanding.

I returned home and remembered a quote I had read last night before going to bed ...

★"The highest form of ignorance is when you reject something you don't know anything about." -Wayne Dyer ★
                   

   and I continue to  hope the knowledge that can be gained from Cora Jean's journey will enlighten people and help rid the world of the ignorance that can sometimes be encountered when trying to explain what Down syndrome really is and that Cora is a baby, just like other babies.
 tummy time exercise

 sitting exercise

 Cora finding her foot



                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment