Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Throw out the bath water...not the baby

My grandma used to say this.  I remember her saying this when all the grown-ups would be gathered around the table for holiday dinners or for Sunday lunch.  Someone would be talking about a problem and this was a gentle reminder to get that person looking differently at the problem without letting it consume one's life.

I thought of this today when I was driving home from another appointment with Cora.  We had been to Marquette yesterday and today we drove to St. Ignace.  Both for doctor appointments that are centered around keeping Cora at her best with the way her heart is working right now. She hasn't grown any in the last month and she hasn't gained any weight.  The good thing about this is that she hasn't lost any weight either.  Cora has a little fat roll by her arms and Doc Statler called this her fat reserve.  Both Doc's were optimistic with the upcoming surgery. 

I, on the other hand, am fearful and anxious about Cora's health and her ability to tolerate another completely invasive surgery such a short time after her first one.

So, on the way home this afternoon, my mind was wandering to the "what if" side of things.  Never a great place to let the mind wander.  Then it wandered into the "don't know if I can do this" thoughts.  Then it wandered into the "there is no extra funds anywhere" kind of thinking. At one point it was dwelling on "am I giving all the kids the time they need".  Then my mind started doing the whole snowball effect, where one negative thought was leading to another, and another, and another......

At that point I very clearly heard my GranGran's voice say, "Katrina, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.  Take one day at a time."  Good advice for me during this stressful time.  I looked out of the windshield of my Yukon and said a quick thank you to the heaven's.  I am sure GranGran was up there smiling at me and Cora.

 Cora after a bath-exploring the quilt pattern on my bed

Cora showing off her spikey after bath hair

No comments:

Post a Comment