Friday, December 2, 2011

Cora's right to say "NO"

Left for Marquette at 6am this morning to make it in time for Cora's appointment with her pediatric cardiologist.  Cora did well traveling but was ready to get out of the car seat by the time we arrived.
Doctor Christansen was so pleased with how she looked, her energy level and her interaction abilities compared to the last time he saw her.

He performed an echo cardiogram and found another small leak between the wall, but the repair is still holding.  Cora's mitral valve regurge is still moderate and is healing nicely despite the fact that there is leakage around the sutures and the heart is still slightly enlarged.

Her xrays came out beautifully again.  Yeah for Cora.  Her lungs are clear and staying that way, this is a first for Cora since she has been born.  No wonder her talk time is increasing..haha! 

Then it was time for blood work.  This is never an easy task with Cora because her veins are so small and very deep.  It is hard to find one for the blood draw and if there isn't a tech on duty that is used to drawing blood from an infant their chances are practically zero that they will get blood.

Keep in mind that Cora is only a few weeks out from surgery, on lots of diuretics and tired from the three hour car ride.  The tech tried to get a draw from Cora's arm and was unsuccessful.  The tech checked Cora's other arm, her little feet and finally decided to try the wrist area to withdraw blood.  Now the first time she tried in Cora's arm she inserted the butterfly needle and then withdrew it a little and reinserted it...she did this fishing around five times before she decided that there wasn't going to be a draw from the arm.  At this point Cora was crying to the point of sobbing and hiccuping and I was getting uncomfortable with the whole procedure.  When the tech went for Cora's wrist I told her she had one shot and then it was going to be done.  The tech inserted the needle and missed.  Have any of you ever had a blood draw from the wrist?  It is extremely painful and uncomfortable.  Cora by now was past sobbing and looking at me with those blue trusting eyes and speaking right to my soul.  When the tech started to fish around in Cora's wrist I touched her arm and said (very much calmer than I felt), "Take the needle out, you are done."  The tech wasn't happy but she did withdraw the needle.  She then proceeded to tell me that the blood work had to be done and she would just try another spot.  I again told her "No. You are done.  Cora is still recovering from surgery and she is not going through anymore today. " 

Well the tech was not happy and started to tell me it had to be done and etc.,, so I again explained that Cora was recovering from heart surgery and didn't need to be in this much distress.  I also told her that I knew there was a three poke  rule and she has far exceeded that rule.  Then I told her that I would take total responsibility for the draw not being done.  Those were the words that finally made her happy.  That I would take responsibility for her inability.

Once back in the office with Doctor Christansen he had already been informed that I had denied the blood work.  I told him what happened and he back me up 100% .

 There are moments on this journey when I have to speak up for Cora and need to be her advocate and her greatest campaigner for her rights and her dignity.  Even when it means taking responsibility for another persons inability and unwillingness to "own"  their shortcomings.  I do this willingly and lovingly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Cora happy to be in a bigger car seat.  The baby carrier style seat was hurting her back too much after surgery. Changed her to this bigger seat that sits more upright and doesn't put pressure on her back and she was a happy girl again. Made the trip to Marquette and back with little fussiness. 

 It got the "Cora-Raspberry" seal of approval.


3 comments:

  1. Cora is so blessed to have you as a mom, Kat.

    Lots of love and prayer always,
    Katelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katelyn. Its the prayer Goddesses that keep me going. Knowing that we have your support and that you are indeed a prayer goddess warms my heart. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katrina, I believe that Cora understands everything you are doing for her. What a beautiful testimony. She is beautiful. You are all beautiful and I keep you all in my prayers, daily. What a beautiful child Phoenix is. I love him . . . I love all your children . . . I love you.

    ReplyDelete