Saturday, November 26, 2011

Destination....Healing

Friday, November 25, 2011 & Saturday, November 26, 2001

Cora is doing well.  The doctors put her back on one of her original diuretics and it made all the difference in the world.  We went home with four medicines given three times a day....but we got to go  home.  That is the greatest gift I could have been given for this after Thanksgiving day.

With a final xray and the all clear and Cora peeing in her diapers like she has just gone in a swimming pool, we were sent on our way.  I gave hugs to all the wonderful nurses and Cora smiled at everyone we walked by in the hallway.
 diuretics finally working...waiting for discharge

It is such a mixed blessings when you leave the hospital because I have spent the last two weeks with other parents and shared stories and struggles with them.  We become instantly attached due to our commonalities and predicaments.  Giving hugs to some of the moms brought me to tears.  I was happy I was leaving with Cora in my arms and saddened that some of them wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. 
 dressed for the ride home

The ride home was hard for Cora.  Spending that much time strapped into her carseat is painful.  She did her best and didn't really start to complain until the last 30 minutes of our seven hour journey home.  (We were slowed by an accident on I-75).  That last 30 minutes saw me and her both crying ....her from pain and me from the inability to console her.  Once we arrived home though, I laid her in her playpen and she stretched and wiggled and smiled.  Then, sleep overcame her and she rested peacefully.  My dad, Kelsey, Phoenix and Melissa were all so happy to see her and they kept checking on her and just looking at her and marveling at how much better her coloring is since the surgery.

Yes, she is a marvelous gift and a wondrous work in progress. 

We still have many doctor visits to come in the next few weeks.  But for today, Cora's heart is doing its job despite the leaks and that is all I am concerned with.  Today is good.

I would say that for Cora Jean Head's first Thanksgiving she threw herself the best  party ever.  She got a fixed heart and more energy and she gets another day to thrive.  I am incredibly thankful for this and am so glad I was invited to the party.
 home at last and playing too much to stay still for the camera.



No comments:

Post a Comment