Sunday, November 20, 2011

Sunday best

Its Sunday and the perfect day for Cora to get to wear her Sunday best.....her smile. 

This morning was another big morning for the little button.  She was all smiles and playing happily despite the fact that she was on a fasting for the sedation the doctor's would use when they removed the chest tubes today.  After seeing me this morning she did start to fuss a little bit. When she didn't think I understood that she was hungry she got a little fussier and started saying my name making the sucking motion.   This made me emotional and filled my heart with such happiness....Cora has been so filled with medicines and tiredness the last few weeks that she had stopped telling me when she was hungry.  To see this again was all I needed to start that tear train rolling.

I opted to have a dose of oxycodine with the percocet for her conscious sedation this morning because of her having such adverse reaction to the morphine.  The Doctor's that were on call this morning have been with Cora the two previous visits and agreed with me that she is not a candidate for morphine.  I tell you, she was a trooper and I was so very proud of this baby girl....she didn't whimper at all through the removal of the chest tubes until they pulled the stitches tight.  Then it was one little yell that ended in a huge pout.  The Doctor's both laughed when they saw that pout and Cora joined in with a huge smile of her own.

Once this was done the nurse and I gave Cora her first after surgery bath and she was unhooked from all the monitors.

So now Cora lies in the crib, full of mischief and play, dressed in a little gown and totally unhooked from all monitors.  Her breathing is normal (45 -50) and her heart rate is great (129) and she is looking pink again.  Despite all the bruising and her still being sore, she is only on Motrin and Tylenol with the oxycodone only as needed. They are still giving her oral Lasix and Aldactone. The nurses  were suppose to move her out of moderate care and into a regular room today but there was not a bed for her. This didn't bother the nurses in moderate care as they are happy that Cora is staying in their ward because she lights up whenever they peek into her bed and say hi.

Cora continues to work her magic even when she isn't 100% herself.  For me, that's the best thing this Sunday had to offer.
Playing with Horsey before chest tubes removed.


Cora talking with Horsey in their secret language

No comments:

Post a Comment