Sunday, November 13, 2011

The waiting game


Well testing is done and the last two days have been spent just hugging and cuddling with Cora. The testing on Friday went as planned and Cora endured it like the trooper she has been all along. She started the fasting at 6am and we were in x ray by 9am. I dreaded the pig-o-stat more than she did. Cora was strapped into it with her arms in the air, the plastic strap under her chin and her legs hanging, and smiled the whole time. I am continually amazed and awed by the open love and happiness this daughter shows to those around her. Once that was done she was given the sedation for the echo-cardiogram and the EKG. This time the sedation hit her pretty hard. I don't know if it because she is weaker now than she has been in the past, but she was groggy and floppy all day long. After that testing was done one of the Cardiologist from the team that will be operating on her came and talked with me about what to expect.

The whole team is pretty optimistic about Dr. Bove being able to do the repair. Although they did again talk to me about the artificial valve being a possibility. I am praying this is not the choice that is presented to Dr. Bove when he does the surgery, for if he has to do a mechanical valve that means several operations in the future for Cora. During the Echo they found the valve had prolapsed and there was a cleft of some kind. That's all I could gather from the discussion and really that's all I wanted to hear.

I again say that if Cora has to be anywhere I am very glad it is here at this hospital. The University of Michigan Medical Center is one of the largest concentrations of medical education, research and treatment facilities in the world. Located on 82 acres this 30 building complex includes a premier medical school and world-renowned, advanced patient care facilities. The Med-Inn is located within the walls of the facility and makes it very easy to see Cora and be within pager reach if I am needed.

Tomorrow fast approaches and I find the anxiety grows as the hours of today slip away. I watch Cora sleep and I silently pray for the patience, the understanding and the faith that I will need in the early morning hours tomorrow. Just like Cora, I truly need to take one moment at a time tomorrow morning and have faith that whatever happens it is for Cora's greater purpose and not necessarily for my understanding.


No comments:

Post a Comment