Friday, November 11, 2011

We've arrived

November 10, 2011
The six hour drive to Ann Arbor was made during alternating sunshine, snow, rain, sleet, hail and high winds.  We arrived safe and in time to check in for our reserved room.  Cora was so happy to be out of that car seat and able to roll around on the bed and stretch her legs.  She settled right in and was ready for tickling and playing.  My three travel companions, my daughter Emily (17), Cora and my mom, were a little giddy after the road trip, so they were more than happy to play  while I unpacked Cora's playpen and toys.
 < three silly travelers
 < the almost serious 'we've arrived' photo

It is a relief and a sad reality that I knew where to park, where to go, the shortcuts and the how to's of the way things work and what I needed to do for Cora's workup tomorrow morning. It was definitely a mixed feeling of joy that I and Cora were recognized by many of the people here and a feeling of sadness that we were recognized.  Cora was greeted with a great deal of smiles and the kind of well wishes that usually started with , "Oh, Cora.  You're back.  You look so happy but I wish we didn't have to see you again."  A greeting that I totally agreed with.

< room view


So, despite the fact that we are here again for another major surgery for Cora Jean, I wouldn't pick another place to be with her.  There is a sense of relief for me because I know that if Cora has another sudden medical crisis I am in the perfect place for it to happen.  At home there is always the worry that she will take a bad turn and I will again have to rush her here.  Strange how I recognize a sense of relief during a stressful time. 

So it seems only natural that I end today's blog with another milestone for Cora that takes place in the Children's hospital that she has spent so much of her first seven months of life in.....She was able to hold her bottle by herself for a feeding.(first time for her to accomplish this)  Go Cora Jean, Go Cora Jean, yeah Cora Jean!


No comments:

Post a Comment