Saturday, June 2, 2012

Cora greets June

Cora is greeting June with a big smile and a playful mindset.  She has been so full of games the last two days.  With the weather being rainy and cooler, Cora has been able to play and carry on without struggling or getting tired quick.  I never realized before how a person who has heart problems struggles with heat and humidity.  Another life lesson that Cora has taught me!

Today Kelsey was holding Cora and pretending to sneak up on me.  Cora would get a big smile and when I would turn around and act like they scared me Cora would clap her hands and let out a big squeal.  I love to see the interaction between Cora and her siblings.  She is so completely loved and accepted for who she is and where she is at, without any preconceived judgements.  The kids show no jealousy of the time it takes to care for Cora, only concern and helping hands. 

While many people have told me of the struggles a sibling will have in coping with a younger sister who has Down syndrome, I strive to make all my children feel "special",  no matter what their "needs" are.  This kind of parenting seems to be working out well in my household.

We all celebrate the little gains for Cora and Cora eats it up with a smile and a clap of her hands.  Like I told about in the earlier blog, Cora's appetite has indeed increased and she is starting to show a little progress on the scale.  This week saw her with a weight gain , and while the doctor was excited for the weight gain, she scheduled her for the usual weight check.  Ita a precautin, just to make sure that the weight gain is from the appetite and not water retention from the change in meds.

So, on this rainy day in Pickford, you will find Cora playing with her siblings.  The CD player is playing a 2Cellos CD softly in the background and interrupted only by a loud ear piercing yell from Cora and shouts of laughter from her siblings.

Our shared journey continues to be blessed by a loving and giving Creator, because a few months ago the family that surrounds Cora wondered if we would hear laughter from this beautiful baby girl. This is what the past year has been all about...getting Cora to the point where life is fun and playful, instead of chaos and struggle.  I look forward to seeing what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment