Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cora's Christmas spirit

During shopping today I met a friend who I hadn't seen in several years.  We chatted a few minutes and while we chatted she kept glancing at Cora.  During a pause in our conversation she leaned in close to Cora and smiled at her.  She asked "Who is this beautiful little girl?"  I explained that Cora was my youngest daughter.  My friend was overwhelmed with shock and looked at me.  All she said was "Wow.  How old is she?"  I told her Cora was 8 months old.  We shared a laugh about the age gap between her and Kelsey (my oldest).  We continued to talk about our children ( I had trained her daughter for professional horse shows when her daughter was a teenager) and life.

The whole time Cora just sat patiently and watched us both.  At times she would smile shyly at this woman and at other times she would grab my finger ever so tightly and stare at me.  Cora didn't have the top half of her snowsuit on because it was hot in the store and her little shirt had inched down on her chest .  My friend leaned into Cora and said "Oh my, what happened to her chest?"  I then noticed that the top inch of Cora's scar was noticeable.  I am used to seeing the scar and its redness and it no longer alarms me.  Looking at it with unknowing eyes can be a startling sight.

I explained about Cora and her heart surgeries.  I talked about Cora being an infant with Down syndrome.  I bragged about what Cora was doing and her beautiful blue eyes.  The whole time this woman listened to me.  When I was done with my explanation she gently touched Cora's cheek and then looked at me.  Her eyes were filled with emotion and I wasn't sure of what she was thinking. I worked to stay open minded and not worry about what she was going to say next.  I waitied for the either positive reaciton or the negative reaction.  She looked at Cora and said very softly, "What a blessing and she is so beautiful."  My friend then looked at me with the biggest smile and love shining from her very core.

I gave her a hug and we parted ways.  Her to continue with her shopping and me to continue helping the girls pick out the things they needed.

As I walked with my children and I watched my 21 year old and my 17 year old talking and laughing with each other, and as I looked at Cora watching everyone in that intense way babies do, I was filled with the spirit of Christmas.

I believe that part of Christmas is having the ability to show appreciation to others with small gifts,  or simple acts of kindness and gentleness.  These things are meant to empower others and help them feel blessed in some way.  I was given that today by this woman.

She embraced me and Cora with love and compassion and no judgements.  I was blessed with the very feeling of Christmas that I try to give others.  Cora is teaching me what pure love looks like when it is given to us by others.  And that is definitely the Spirit of Christmas.

 Cora resting after her Christmas shopping


No comments:

Post a Comment