Sunday, February 5, 2012

No problem is permanent

I was reading in a book today that Colonel Sanders (the Kentucky Fried Chicken Guru) tried 1,009 times to get a yes before he was finally seen as a food genius instead of a funny man dressed in that white suit selling bites of chicken.  Did you know that Walt Disney was turned down 302 times before his dream of creating the worlds happiest place on earth was financed?

Okay, so where is this going?  I think for me it is so important to remember that persistence will have a reward in the end.  That no problem is permanent and even though it affect my life, it will at some point pass. Just like the heart failure and the two surgeries.  Just like anything else Cora will face.  It will present itself, it will be dealt with and it will pass.

I decided that in light of this information and this path of thinking that I was going to focus on giving Cora foods that would increase her weight instead of focusing on the "why" of her losing weight.  She is happy, playful, signing words, babbling baby talk, and just plain enjoying life.  She is full of cuddles and really starting to laugh.  She has even started this cute little "hoo hoo"sound.  She has one "hoo hoo" for happy and one "hoo hoo" for upset. 

I again remind myself to be grateful for the wisdom of  mother's before me.  I have been asking the elder women in my community, my family and in general what they would have done for a baby that wasn't gaining weight.  Some of the answers would put the fear in Cora's doctors, but others have been wonderful answers.  I know that at times our science is  not as advanced as the knowledge of  a mother's instinct.  Because of this I have found that Cora loves pumpkin mixed in with her cereal.  And she absolutely LOVES bacon grease....just kidding!

The problem of weight gain is being dealt with and it will pass.  For today, I am grateful for the ounces she has gained instead of focusing on how much she "should" or "needs" to weigh.  Really, in the happiness of her moments and the love she shares, its a small thing.

I wonder if she likes mashed potatoes with sour cream and butter?

No comments:

Post a Comment