Thursday, February 9, 2012

Cora teaches again

Yesterday Cora and I traveled to Charlevoix, Mi to see Dr. Statler. Dr. Statler has been practicing there at a new pediatrics office and I was so releived that Cora and I could go there and see her. We haven't seen the good doctor since her goodbye dinner at Applebees . Some of Cora's latest colorings have worried me a little bit and it was reassuring to have Dr. Statler look at Cora and tell me that its all okay.

While Cora's hands are turning purple with any extensive exercise, her well being and overall happiness is at a high. The swelling in her hands and feet come and go depending on how much she is rolling around and playing, yet she babbles away and continues on her mission to reach whatever toy has captured her attention.

When being weighed yesterday the scale showed that Cora has gained another ounce. Yeah for her! Dr. Statler and I both looked at each other and smiled a huge chest-ire cat smile and she said, “An ounce in the right direction, we'll take it!”. I agreed whole heartily.

The four hour trip leaves time for reflection while I am driving, and a time of rest for Cora. The truck is quiet, the baby babbles softly and blows raspberries and music plays quietly in the background. The sun shines in the windshield and warms the truck on a cold winter day and the roads were clear. Reflection is an easy thing when the day is quiet and the truck is filled with a babies quiet snores. I started thinking about my and Cora's travels and this journey we are on. Traveling the two hours to see a pediatrician to some parents would seem ridiculous. For me, it is a necessity to Cora's overall health and well being. This is not something I would have considered doing if you had asked me before Cora was conceived. I probably would have looked at you funny and said “No way, would I travel four hours to take my child to a doctor just for a check up.” But travel four hours is just what I did yesterday and I did it for my child. Why? Because Cora needs to be with a doctor who has traveled this journey with us since the first week of Cora's life. A doctor who knows my child as well as I do and who can tell , just by looking at her and holding her, how well Cora is or isn't doing.

Cora is worth the time and she makes these moments of quiet a welcome gift for her chauffeur. Quiet leads to peace and in that moment of reflection I again understood what this child has given to me and to others. Some label her as a special needs infant or just a baby with Down syndrome, one with a heart defect that has jetting sutures. Some see her as a patient number and miss out on the wonderful gift she has to offer.

For, when I look into her eyes I see abundant good, awesome joy, heartfelt peace and open love. I see myself in her eyes and I am thankful for this quiet reflective moment she has been able to offer me. A moment I might have missed if I had not chosen to take this journey with Cora Jean. I've said it before in this blog, and I am gonna say it again...thank God she is sharing her gift with me and that I am still young enough to learn from a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment