Saturday, October 13, 2012

Cora's first horse

I wrote on Facebook, to all my girlfriends, that I had a confession to make.  The confession involved a Christmas present and Cora. I decided to share that confession with all the blog followers.

 You see, I had bought a rocking horse for Cora for her Christmas present and it arrived earlier than it was suppose too.

I let it sit in the box and looked at.  I walked out of my office and did house chores.  I looked at the pony again.  I left and worked outside with a client.  I looked at the pony again. My next thought was that I should give this wonderful first pony to Cora today and let her enjoy it right away.  I looked at the rocking pony again and thought how sad it must be inside of that box, waiting for its new owner to ride it and play with it.

I mentally argued with myself, eventually losing the war of keeping the gift for Christmas and unwrapped it from the box.  I pulled the horse out and realized it needed the stickers added to it.  Time to call in a big sister, and that is exactly what I did.  Emily came to the aid and placed all the stickers in their appropriate spots and then the pony was ready for its new owner.

Cora had sat by us and watched with fascination at it all.  She kept pointing to the pony and saying "horth", "horth" and then clapping her hands.  Finally she was sitting on her very first pony and they were indeed meant for each other.

The pony smiled a silly grin and Cora, after being shown how to move her upper body a few times, was rocking her "horth" and clapping her hands and losing her balance and sliding off to the side onto the floor.  Always landing on her butt and then pointing to me or a sibling and patting the seat of her new pony.  It was very obvious that she liked this new toy.  At one point Cora was sitting in front of her pony and just looking at it.  I asked her if she liked her new horse and made the sign for "horse".  She looked at me, pointed at her pony and signed "baby" then leaned forward , grabbed his face with her little hands and kissed him on the nose.  No question about it, she loves her new "horth".

I felt a little remorse in giving Cora this present early because this year the kids and I have a two present limit for each other this year.  But I have a feeling that the older kids will completely understand if Cora still finds two presents under the tree as she has gifted all of us with many presents.

The biggest present of all?  Her very agreement with Creator to take this journey within our family.  Have I mentioned her smiles, laughter, hugs, funny faces, jibber jabber, baby signing, gaining weight???  You get the idea.  Life itself is a present and a gift, the other stuff just makes it fun while we travel along on this journey.  And apparently, rocking horses are a definate grin maker!

 Cora saying "horse" (horth)

 A happy girl!




No comments:

Post a Comment