Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cora stands up

Cora stands up for her rights to be treated as an individual.  Her right to be treated as a child first and a child with Down syndrome second.  She stands up for her right to be recognised as an individual, not seen as Down syndrome.  Then again, she just stands up because she can!

These past few days Cora has achieved a couple of new milestones.  She was playing with her rocking horse and with other toys on the floor when she decided she wanted to see what I was doing in the kitchen.  At that point, she merely climbed up and over the back of the rocking horse and into the kitchen.  To do this, she had to get on her knees, stand up on her toes and then crawl over the back of the horse.  I was so excited to see her do this that I asked her to do it again and again.  It soon became a game with laughter from both Cora and I.

Then, a few days later, she really wanted to  see what was on the wall behind me as we were sitting together on the couch.  She was in my lap, facing me, and she leaned forward while putting her hands n my chest and stood up.  Simple and easy as can be.

Early on came and worked more on this skill with her and gave me pointers to help her continue in this direction while not hyper extending her knees backwards.

She has also started saying "DAT?" when she is pointing to objects that interest her.  There are times when she says "WAT DAT?" as well.  Her language skills are blossoming as well as her signing skills.  I still look at her in amazement and wonder at her growth.  Cora has become a skilled master at getting her point across because if you don't look at what she is pointing to and asking "DAT" about, she will grab your face and turn it to look in the direction of her pointing!

Yes, this week has been a wonderful adventure on this journey and a week full of more firsts and passed milestones for beautiful Cora.  Cora stands up for interesting things as well as learning how to keep on surprising those that enjoy this walk with her.  I am so thankful that I get to stand right there beside her and continue to watch her milestones...

No comments:

Post a Comment