Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Continued Awareness

Being a parent of a child with Down syndrome is a continuing learning experience.  Cora found another word to add to her verbal skills and it is "Me".  A great new success for Cora as it is really amazing to watch her sign and speak the "Me" word when it is needed.  I, however, could have waited for this new word to become a part of her vocabulary.

We have reached a point in Cora's activities where nothing goes unseen by this baby girl!  No more sneaking chocolate muffins or ice cream.  Cora will crawl right over to you, point and say "Dat!" and then sign "eat".  I tell her that mama is eating ice cream and ask her if she wants some and to this she replies..."me,me,me,me" and again signs "eat".

Gone are the days of reading a book while she plays content in her surroundings of toys and stuffed animals.  While I read my book I will feel a tap on my knee and find Cora has dragged one of her books over to have me read to her.

What an absolute blessing that those days are gone and have been replaced by Cora's interaction.  Cora's patience is building again and it is so much fun to watch her sitting in her yellow chair and watching her signing videos or "my baby can read" videos.  She mimics the signs that babies are doing and will mimic the sound of the word that is being displayed on the screen.  During this half hour learning time she is a real joy to watch.

She is developing her love of music.  While music plays softly in the background during the day she can be seen stopping her playing of toys and starting to do her booty dance when a song has grabbed her attention with a snazzy beat.  Although she does seem to favor the classical songs.

Yes, our little Cora is growing up and prospering in her life.  Changing rapidly and gaining ground as each day passes.  As this month of Down syndrome awareness comes to a close don't let the awareness end.  Remain Cora's champion and a champion of a loved one who might also have Down syndrome.  Stand firm and solid on this journey with us as she continues to pass  milestones markers along the way.  Raise you arms and shout with happiness "ME! ME! ME!" when Cora looks around for those that continue to support her journey and love her the way Creator made her...in his image and blessed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment