Thursday, September 13, 2012

Cora's little setback

This week found Cora getting another medication adjustment.  The Pediatric Cardiologist is trying really hard to get Cora's meds down to zero doses every day, and this has meant making a few adjustments along the past few weeks.

She was doing well with the adjustments until this past weekend.  You could tell that Cora wasn't getting as much medicine as usual and the later part of this past weekend Cora was uncomfortable.  The weekend was spent trying to console a cranky and unsettled Cora.  Anyone who has had the pleasure of meeting Cora and spending time with her knows that this is not the usual Cora mode of operation. 

Cora was indeed in a little distress.  Not much, but enough to keep her agitated and not her normal self.  If she wasn't in super high gear, she was fussing and twisting her torso.  Her little feet were a yellow color in the mornings when I got her out of bed. Cora's tummy was bloated to the point of being extremely distended, her hands were puffy and she was coughing steadily throughout the day. Her appetite had decreased and we were waking her up from her afternoon naps (three and four hours long) instead of her waking after an hour and a half.

Monday had us in the doctor's office checking things out.  After the exam , Pickford Medical felt that Cora was retaining water and was definitely uncomfortable.  I walked into the clinic knowing that Cora was not herself, and I walked out of the clinic feeling even more dejected.

I spent the early part of this week waiting for a call back from Dr. Statler and then Dr. Webb.  Finally, yesterday, Dr. Webb made an increase in one of the meds that we were weaning Cora off of and so far things are looking better.

Life is like that, we go along and are sailing on smooth waters with our face into the sunshine, when all of a sudden a little cloud will cover the sun and a drizzle will rain down on us.  Its how we face these discouragements that can increase our discomfort or help us to find the positive moment in even the strongest downpour of rain.  I looked for my raincoat this week and finally found it in Cora's smiling face and eased temperament.  I found a hood for my raincoat in the love from my heart sisters, their encouraging words.  I even found some rain boots when I asked the creator for an ease in my worry.

I admit that I have struggled this week with the disappointment of knowing that Cora, despite all the progress she has made, was taking a step backwards.  That her little body is not ready to be totally on its own and that meds are still needed.  Cora took it way better than I did. 

She once again taught me that life is full of unexpected difficulties, but you need to just adjust to it and just keep moving forward.    With faith and grace, I remembered how to play in the rain this week and Cora was right there with me.

                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment