Saturday, September 8, 2012

Cora sings for success

The Early On team came yesterday and it included a new woman named Rachel.  Rachel is going to start working with Cora on her speech therapy.  Since Cora is mimicking mouth movements, signing 14 words, verbalizing 5 words, the Early On team thought now would be a great time to introduce the speech part of her therapies.

It always nice to hear that I am a doing a great job in teaching Cora, but the credit still goes to the young student.  Cora works hard for what she learns.  It is through our repetition and continual use of the signing that she is learning it and growing with new words each week.  Cora is a student of life and everything, and I do mean everything, has her interest.  She really wants to know what things are and she looks for us to show her the sign and say the word.  She has started mimicking the sign as well as trying to make her voice and mouth do the same motion.

She has started a new talent this week.  I was signing to a song that was playing on the radio.  A Jodie Messina song "Bring on the rain" when all of a sudden I realized there was a little voice joining in with me.  Cora was in the back seat of the truck in her carseat and she was singing with me.  These beautiful long "Awwwwwwwwww" and "Baaaaabaaaaabaaalaaaalaaa" noises.  When the song finished and I stopped signing, Cora clapped her hands.  I laughed so very hard and cheered for us both as well.  After all, if Cora could clap for me I figured I might not have sounded to bad!

This brings me back to the original paragraph.  The fact that Cora is wanting to sign along (in tune most of the time) and mimic the tone and sounds that she hears, along with doing a little booty and body rock to the rhythm means that she has once again achieved another milestone.  So, with the addition of another Early On team member, Cora keeps moving along on her journey...and now she signs a merry tune as she steps along the path!!

No comments:

Post a Comment