Monday, September 3, 2012

Cora's holiday

This Labor Day weekend holiday is coming to a close. It was a warm, loving, laughter filled holiday for Cora. 

Last year at this time I was sitting with Cora in Mott Children's Hospital.  Looking at my beautiful baby girl, in her intensive care unit after her first heart surgery,and praying endlessly.  The memory of seeing her lying in that bed still spins my stomach and puts tears in my eyes.  Last year this holiday was spent watching my daughter breathe with a machine, looking at wounds and wondering where life was going to take us both.

This year, exactly one year later, we were sitting in a girlfriends living room surrounded by eight woman that I had graduated high school with.  The get together was started by Michele wanting to visit with myself and Nancy so they could see Cora and how much she has changed the last few months.  It just kind of snowballed from there. Cora and I ended up at Valerie's house for a lunch and with other women joining in.

We arrived and toys were found and Cora was placed on the floor in the middle of the group.  She looked at everyone, played with toys and entertained herself.  We spent the time laughing and talking and laughing some more.  Cora spent the time looking at all of these beautiful women and at moments would squeal and kick her legs and clap. She enjoyed time in Auntie Brenda's lap and Auntie Valarie's lap and tried to untie Auntie Michele's shoes.  She spent time casually leaning against Auntie Nancy's leg while she watched us silly women laughing yet again.

I don't know if anyone else understood the significance of yesterday for me.  I was quiet sometimes, just smiling and listening , simply because I was breathing in the joy of the moment.  It felt wonderful to be surrounded by women who accepted Cora openly and didn't have a negative thing to say about what I could expect in the future. They didn't utter a negative word about how hard life could be for Cora or her challenges. 

The greatest blessing we both received yesterday was the hugs and the warmth that these women offered to my baby girl.  Cora once again won over a crowd of people to her side of the road.  I know, without a moments hesitation, that if Cora needed something these women would stand up for her. 

A year ago the day was spent in tears and  a soul felt agony of worry.  This year ,the day was spent in heartfelt joy and laughter.  For me, the proudest moment was knowing that Cora was signing, playing and laughing along with all of us....just like an average baby would!  Something I wasn't very sure of last year. 



With that I would like to personally thank the women who made yesterday a great aniversary for Cora and me....Brenda, Kim B., Kim P., Michele, Valarie, Jackie, Beth, Nancy. We also have to mention Auntie Lee because I know she was there in spirit even though work kept her away.   Cora sends mushy kisses and I send a prayer of blessing.  Thanks Ladies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment