Friday, April 6, 2012

Cora's Doctor Visit Lesson

Good news.  It was a growth spurt last week when Cora had that huge weight gain.  Such a great relief for both myself and Catherine at Pickford Medical.  Cora gained a normal amount for her in the past week.  She gained 4 ounces.  This brings her weight to 14 pounds and 12 ounces.  She also grew another bit and her length measured at 27 inches.  She is truly getting to be a big girl in a good way.

Catherine and I both sighed a breath of relief when we looked at the scale and it showed the simple 4 ounces weight gain.  I grabbed Cora from the scale and gave her the biggest hug and this week when I walked down the hallway, there was only smiles and pleasant thoughts.   Just to be on the safe side, Catherine did a thorough exam of Cora and declared that Cora indeed looked great and lungs and heart were sounding clear.  Catherine listens to Cora's heart by holding her in her arms and putting the stethoscope on Cora' back.  This enables her to keep Cora from squirming, but it also lets Catherine snuggle with Cora.  Something they both enjoy.  When Catherine went to hand Cora back to me, Cora turned around in her arms and grabbed a hold of Catherine's collar of her lab coat.  Cora was NOT done with the snuggle time and Catherine just laughed and snuggled her for a little while longer.

 Cora has a great "people radar" and I have learned to watch for her reaction to people.  She has a way of letting you know if the person she is encountering has a good vibe or a negative vibe.  She is interactive with those she deems as "good energy" and will just stare blankly at others she deems as "negative".  It is a lesson in seeing people for who they are and not how they appear.  When Cora decides you are accepting of her and give a good vibe, she often makes it hard to stop the snuggle time.

For me, it is a gentle acknowledgement that Cora is not only teaching me, but others around her.  Such a wondrous child she is, to be teaching those so many years older than her.  One would think that with age comes wisdom, but somehow, I think in Cora's case, the wisdom was born with her and she is passing it on to us.

At a time of year when religions are reminding us of the resurrection of Jesus and the reason for the Easter holiday...Cora is doing some of that resurrecting of her own.  She continues to resurrect the desire to learn and serve better for those that are involved in her medical care.  She continues to resurrect the feeling of youth in those that work in her therapies.  For me, she resurrects my laughter and optimism that has accompanied all my life.  It was lost to me for some years now....she is enabling me to find the intense ability to again look for the positive side of very dire situations. 

A great teacher this little button is becoming.  I only hope I can continue to be a good student in this journey of life I share with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment