Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cora teaches mama

Early on came and loaded me down with books and information today.  It was a speech therapy session for Cora, yet I found myself learning as well.  Funny how that seems to be the result lately. 

Ann brought many things today to help with Cora's learning, but they definitely filled in many of the "blank areas" for me as well.  Along with books she brought Cora a really neat mesh thingy (yes, thingy is a real word!) that allows me to put a piece of teething biscuit inside of it without the fear of Cora choking.  This new gadget will allow Cora to continue to practice her chewing skills and also encourage her to try to keep an item in her mouth once she has it there.  Cora still lacks the coordination to bring her own hand to her mouth, but this little gadget seems to already be helping with that.

The books that Ann brought are interesting and scary.  Just when I think I have heard everything, I am given a book that tells about more problems that Cora might encounter along this journey.  The good news is, the book also tells about the blessings and achievements that Cora has to look forward to as well.

We are all learning more sign each day and Cora is recognizing these more readily.  While she understands the spoken word, the sign seems to help incorporate the meaning for her.  Yesterday while Kelsey was working with her horse in the arena, Cora and I were watching from the gate.  Cora was watching intensely and following the movements of both horse and handler.  When she looked at me  I said and signed, " Sister is teacher of her horse.  Do you see sister?"  With that Cora nodded her head "yes" and looked back to the arena.  It is moments like these that I wish I could freeze in time and keep with me.

Later on I brought it my horse and took him near the stroller to see Cora.  Cora's eyes were huge (her first real face-to-face encounter with a horse) and she got the biggest smile on her face.  I signed and said "mama's horse".  I did this several times and kept signing and repeating the sentence.  During this time Cora was watching my horse with interest as he smelled the stroller and her.  When it got to the point that my horse started to smell the top of her head Cora looked at me and signed "all done".   I am so proud of Cora and her communication skills.  While she is still limited on the use of her signs, she definitely knows how to get her point across.

Cora continues to learn and I continue to learn right along with her.  I can think of nothing better that the realization that the baby I thought was going to have such difficulties as a student of life,  is actually becoming my greatest teacher.



No comments:

Post a Comment