Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Leaps and bounds

Cora continues to amaze those who's life she touches.  It is such a blessing for me as her parent to see the reaction of others when Cora shows off one of her new found talents.

These past few weeks have been filled with achievements for Cora.  They have also been filled with doctor visits and vaccinations.  Since Cora got behind on her vaccination schedule the clinic is playing catch up.  This means that every 30 days she is getting a round of vaccines, and this leaves her little legs sore and tender.  Yet, she bears it all with a smile and babbles.

Today finds Cora playing and getting on her knees more and more.  She can now push herself backwards.  Cora's word growth seems to be improving.  While she still mimics sounds and they are jumbled words, they are still in there and can often be recognized by people other than me.  She continues to sign and definitely gets her point across.

I look at this child and marvel at her continual good spirit and way of life. She takes it all in stride, but has no problem saying "no" when it is something that bothers her. A good lesson for any of us, I think. To be able to take life as it is, instead of forcing it into something that is not meant for us. And the gift of saying "no" when we feel it in our gut that it just isn't right for us. How many of us can learn that lesson from Cora. To just look the other person square in the eye and shake our head "no".

I have found that in caring for Cora and raising her she has given this gift to me.  I can now look you squarely in the eye and shake my head "no" when it is not in the best interest of Cora or the family.  To be able to say "no" in this pressure filled world and within a society that believes in instant gratification is truly a gift. 

Cora continues to hand me these tiny life lessons and I am so blessed that she does it with a smile and a cuddle.   Sometimes when I look into those blue eyes I could swear she is telling me, "Hang on tight mama!  The journey has just begun and you have many lessons to learn."  I am thankful that I have mastered the "no" lesson, not for my sake, but for Cora's.  I wonder what life lesson is next, don't you?
Cora reading her book.  She loves books!

No comments:

Post a Comment