Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Cora's typical...YEAH

Cora spiked a fever over the weekend and by Monday morning I had her in the local clinic to see what was wrong.  I had spent the greater part of the weekend fighting panic, and cuddling with a very sick baby girl.  The panic is fast to rise from the pit of my stomach after all the scares Cora and I have been through.

While she remains pretty healthy, and her heart is still doing the work it is suppose to do, when she becomes sick my first instinct is panic.  The second is to tell myself to breathe and remember that her heart is okay.

Monday morning, like I said, found me in the clinic with Cora.  Her fever still slightly high despite alternating the tyenol and motrin, she was smiling at the help and willing to have her weight taken.  She is still silent with her signing we are in public, but at home she kept telling me she was "cold" and "hurt" and "tummy" and saying "ouch".  The doctor examined her and found the culprit.  An ear infection.

Yep, an ear infection.  I felt the tension leave my body and I broke out into a huge smile.  "An ear infection!  Isn't that great!!".  The doctor looked at me and laughed.  "Katrina," she said, "coming from any other mama that comment would have me concerned.  But coming from you, I totally understand!"

For not the first time lately, Cora has done something typical.  While I am not at all happy that it was causing her pain and discomfort, I was happy that it wasn't anything severe or anything to do with her heart.

Today finds her finally feeling better, the amoxicillan seems to be doing its job and her fever is finally gone.  She is playing with her over sized legos and looking at books.  She talks to her favorite stuffed monkey and tries to share her crackers with him as she gives him hugs and kisses. 

Yes, typical is something to celebrate in this household.  Because today, Cora is a typical toddler in both play and illness.  Creator is truly wonderful!!
mama, are you really taking another picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment