Sunday, December 9, 2012

Continuing forward

Cora made it to the Upper Peninsula Down syndrome Association Christmas party in Marquette this week.  We were so fortunate to meet other families that have children similar in age to Cora and to see the development and skills of all ages.  Our children are so different and yet so similar.  One thing that was a definite given, all the children enjoyed the company of each other. 

There was a little fella there that was a few months younger than Cora and Cora instantly wanted to hug him.  She clapped her hands in happiness and hugged him really hard.  Then she signed "baby" and "more" to be able to keep on hugging him.  This little fella wasn't into older girls though and one hug was enough for him..haha!

For me, as a parent, it was rewarding to talk to a couple who's son is fifteen years old.  I listened to there advice and their struggles from years past and took away a greater wealth of knowledge than what I arrived with.

This journey with Cora continues to teach me about always being open to new ideas and suggestions and not being closed to those very things. 

While there this past weekend Cora also saw her Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor and he was delighted in Cora's growth and healthiness.  Her ears are normal and her canals are not terribly small, so it was a great visit.  He did remark several times on Cora's high function and abilities for having Down syndrome.  He told me I was fortunate and blessed.  (His son has Down syndrome). 

I am left, these past few days, with a feeling of happiness that I have not experienced before.  While there are storms that still rage in other areas of Cora's life, the seas we are sailing right now are calm and soothing.  This offers me a chance to catch my breath and a moment to relax, reflect and watch the sunset.

As I sat and held Cora during that Christmas party, and watched the other children sing Christmas carols and saw the patience of the other parents, I finally felt like we weren't alone.  A moment to relax indeed, and bask in the sunshine and happiness of others who are exactly where I am and understand everything I am feeling.  I saw those parents interacting with their children and I could see the pride in their faces.  It was a happy time in this journey and with it came the knowledge that Cora has a very bright future and along this journey she will be giving hugs to those that really want one!

 Cora and oldest sister Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment